These are the darling of the various methods with stuffed greens, Lebanese-style. Observe a number of easy steps and you will be rolling up a storm! One giant, 2-3 pound cabbage yields not less than about 30 rolls, with a number of of these leaves lower in half. Serve the rolls with labneh.
1 giant 2- to 3-pound cabbage
1 pound floor sirloin or different lean beef or lamb
1 cup medium grain or transformed rice
4 oz. butter, melted (salted or unsalted is okay)
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra to season the tomato juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons chopped contemporary mint
8-10 cloves garlic, peeled
4 cups tomato juice
Put together the cabbage:
1. Minimize the core from the cabbage with a pointy knife.
2. In a big pot of boiling water, blanch the cored head of cabbage and take away the leaves one after the other.
3. In an effort to roll the blanched cabbage leaves, the thick rib have to be lower out of the middle of every leaf. On the small leaves, the rib can merely be shaved down fairly than lower out solely. On giant leaves, lower the rib out and preserve reducing the leaf in half lengthwise. Every leaf must be about six inches lengthy. Some might be shorter, and a few might be longer. That is effective. Place the trimmings and any very giant, darkish leaves within the backside of a medium-sized heavy pot.
Make the filling:
1. Rinse the rice twice to take away among the starch. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the raw rice with the melted butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and mint. Let this combination sit for about 10 minutes for the rice to soak up the flavorings. Add the meat and blend with the rice combination till mixed.
Roll and cook dinner:
1. Lay a few tablespoon of the stuffing on a cabbage leaf and unfold the stuffing into an extended row lengthwise alongside the leaf. Roll up the leaf across the meat with out tucking the sides in. Stuff and roll every leaf, then place every roll within the ready pan snugly towards each other. Run every layer of rolls in reverse instructions. Scatter the garlic cloves over the rolls all through the pot. Place a small plate over the rolls to carry them down whereas they cook dinner. Cowl with the tomato juice. Add about 2 tablespoons of salt to the tomato juice. Make small meatballs with any leftover stuffing and place these within the pan.
2. Cowl the pot and produce to a boil. Cut back warmth to simmer, cowl the pot,and cook dinner the leaves till the rice and meat are absolutely cooked, about 45 minutes. Take away the quilt and permit the rolls to relaxation and funky barely earlier than serving.