Degree: Intermediate | Complete: 3 hr 35 min | Prep: 20 min | Inactive: 2 hr
Prepare dinner: 1 hr 15 min | Yield: 1 pie or about 8 servings
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chilly butter (1 stick), diced
1 massive egg, evenly crushed
Flour, for rolling the dough
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup packed mild brown sugar
3/4 cup mild corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon superb salt
2 cups chopped toasted pecans
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 eggs, evenly crushed
1. Make the dough by hand: In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, sugar, and salt. Utilizing your fingers, work the butter into the dry substances till it resembles yellow cornmeal blended with bean-sized bits of butter. (If the flour/butter combination will get heat, refrigerate it for 10 minutes earlier than continuing.) Add the egg and stir the dough along with a fork or by hand within the bowl. If the dough is dry, sprinkle as much as a tablespoon extra of chilly water over the combination.
2. Alternatively, make the dough in a meals processor. With the machine fitted with the metallic blade, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt till mixed. Add the butter and pulse till it resembles yellow cornmeal blended with bean-sized bits of butter, about 10 instances. Add the egg and pulse 1 to 2 instances; do not let the dough kind right into a ball within the machine. (If the dough could be very dry add as much as a tablespoon extra of chilly water.) Take away the bowl from the machine, take away the blade, and produce the dough collectively by hand.
3. Type the dough right into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate till totally chilled, at the very least 1 hour.
4. On a evenly floured floor, roll the dough with a rolling pin right into a 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Switch the dough to a 9-inch pie pan and trim the sides, leaving about an additional inch hanging over the sting. Tuck the overhanging dough beneath itself to kind a thick edge that’s even with the rim. Flute the sting as desired. Freeze the pie shell for half-hour.
5. Set separate racks within the heart and decrease third of oven and preheat to 400 levels F. Put a chunk of parchment paper or foil over the pie shell and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake on a baking sheet on the middle rack till the dough is ready, about 20 minutes. Take away from the oven and elevate sides of the parchment paper to take away the beans. Proceed baking till the pie shell is evenly golden brown, about 10 extra minutes. Scale back the oven temperature to 350 levels F.
6. Whereas the crust is baking make the filling: In medium saucepan, mix the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Carry to a boil over medium warmth, and stirring consistently, proceed to boil for 1 minute. Take away from the warmth and stir within the nuts, bourbon, and the vanilla. Set the combination apart to chill barely, about 5 minutes. (If the crust has cooled, return it to the oven for five minutes to heat by means of.) Whisk the crushed eggs into the filling till clean. Put the pie shell on a sheet pan and pour the filling into the new crust.
7. Bake on the decrease oven rack till the sides are set however the heart continues to be barely free, about 40 to 45 minutes. (If the sides get very darkish, cowl them with aluminum foil half manner throughout baking.) Cool on a rack. Serve barely heat or room temperature.